Internet Exchange Zone
As with any new marketplace, the rapid growth in online purchases via internet sites such as Craig's List and eBay have provided opportunities for predators wishing to take advantage of honest people. To help prevent scams and potential physical attacks, the Spring Grove Police Department has created an "Internet Exchange Zone" where people can carry out online purchases in a more safe environment than private residences or other unknown and unfamiliar areas.
Upon making your online purchase, instruct the other party to meet you directly in front of the Spring Grove Village Hall building located at 7401 Meyer Road. There are signs clearly designating the exchange zone outside the main entrance. The exchange zone is located in an area that is continuously monitored by video surveillance cameras, and is directly in front of the Spring Grove Police Department which will also provide a deterrent to would-be scammers and aggressors.
Below is a list of tips for making in-person transactions:
· Use Websites you are familiar with
· Never provide personal information over the internet
· Never, ever purchase anything online using your credit card from a site that does not have an SSLv(Secure Sockets Layer)
· When taking photos, utilize the cut and paste method from a Word document. This will make it harder for scammers to utilize GPS location programs to find you.
· Take a photo of just the item you are selling. Items in the background can represent additional targets for the would‐be criminal
· Ask a lot of questions
· Don’t go alone and show up early
· Finally, use the Spring Grove Police Department “Safe Exchange Zone” created to provide a safe place to make and document these types of transactions
Be aware of your surroundings, and remember, safety first!